Monday, August 13, 2012

Wasn't me

I remember the song " Wasn't me " by Shaggy  was quite a hit when I was younger, still makes its appearances at Karaoke every now and then. But unlike the song, this post isn't about shifting blame, In fact I think humans are very good at saying "wasn't me" when it comes to most situations where there's blame to be placed, Classic example, Adam points his finger at Eve, Eve points her finger at the serpent, but do you ever stop to think what would have happened if eating the fruit ended positively? Like what if God came out and said "Adam, congratulations you ate the fruit and you win! " You think for a second Adam would have stopped and said."Well, actually it wasn't me it all Eve". Ya right. See, us humans are so quick to shift the blame but just as quick when it comes to taking the credit. I was reading this passage the other day and it was rather strange actually, Basically its a story of this man named Gideon who is leading an army, and God just keeps telling him to do these random tests,( things like the way a soldier drinks his water,) to decide who to send home and who to keep in battle. Gideon starts off with thirty-two thousand men, and after all the tests, ends up with three hundred, that's less then 10% of his starting amount. And you wonder why anyone would want to go into battle severely outnumbered, but God tells Gideon, I want Israel to know that I saved them, that the victory was by my power alone and no one else. ( The Lord said to Gideon, “You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.’ Judges 7:2)  And honestly, sometimes I feel like God puts me in these situations, ones where the odds are so completely against me that I know for sure, with out a doubt that it "wasn't me" but was all him. 
Sometimes we need to check ourselves, and just like Israel did,  and make sure that we're not too arrogant  to think we can accomplish victory on our own.
Because truthfully, any victory in my life, "wasn't me" and I need to start acknowledging that more and more each day. 
For we are mere humans who need to learn that,  just as quickly as we  say  "wasn't me" when it comes to blame, is the same speed we need to learn to say "wasn't me", it's all Him, when it comes to credit.
Not to us O Lord, not to us, but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness
Psalm 115:1

No comments:

Post a Comment