Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Art of Being Still

Sometimes being still is the hardest thing to do...

To be patient, to wait, to breath, stand motionlessly. In a world where if we want something, we go get it, it is hard to accept that sometimes we can’t do anything but wait. It’s this feeling of being helpless that terrifies us, it makes us feel stranded and not in control. I always feel this way while I’m in a waiting room in a hospital, wishing there was more I can do to help, but there isn’t. All I can do is wait and trust. Sometimes being still feels impossible as everything around you is sweeping past.  But in those moments where I try to take things into my own hands rather than being still and trusting, I find I end up going in circles, ending up further behind than where I started to begin with.  So I am urging myself, to be still, to let it be, to trust rather than do, because I am tired of taking my own detours rather than waiting on directions.
 Being still isn’t sitting, uncomfortably grasped by your anxiety, restraining yourself from reacting. Being Still is releasing your worry, trusting completely and resting, right where you are and knowing that you’re in good hands. 
I'll paint a picture of true stillness : A child wandering off from his dad in a store, getting into some trouble as he knocks over a display or knocks something off a shelf. In a panic the child tries to take things into his own hands, tries to apologize to the clerk,  trying to clean up the mess, tries to fix what he's done. But the moment his dad appears from around the corner, the child drops what he was holding, gets up and no longer involves himself. Right there he's filled with peace and reassurance.  In that moment, he knows there's no need to do anymore because, Dad's got it from here.


Be still, and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10 ( NIV)




No comments:

Post a Comment